Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top of the World: Part 2

Feb 8. The Assault
3AM. Already hard enough to get up at this ungodly hour as it is but the cold made it doubly hard to get out of the (sleeping) beds. It was even colder than the night before (around 5degC)! But we gotta do what we gotta do. Eyes on the prize! By 4AM, everyone was bundled up in bubble jackets, gloves, and scarves and was ready to go.
Group photo. Photo by Alex U.

Armed with our headlamps, trail mix, and some water, we set off and started the climb to the summit to witness the sunrise. I thought the climb to the summit would be a breeze compared the trek to the campsite since we won't be carrying anything heavy but was I wrong. As we went further up, the air began to thin and Mark and I found ourselves stopping more and more frequently the closer we got to the top. 

More than an hour in, and still no summit in sight! But there's no other way to go but up and at this point there's no turning back. With the wind whipping my face, I tried to steady my breath as I trudged on. One foot in front of the other, taking extra care to not fall off the side of the cliff. 

Somewhere farther up, someone began to call out left for assault (shorter but steeper) and right for the longer but easier way up to the summit. Since Mark was in front, and since I have zero navigational skills, I let him lead. Which turned out to be a pretty bad decision because he unwittingly chose the ASSAULT. 
Mark and I "assaulting" the summit. Photo by Mark G.

That last stretch going to the summit was painful and tiring to say the least. It was so steep, Mark and I were down on all fours. Every five steps, we literally had to sit down and take a rest because we were panting so hard. It was so exhausting that upon reaching the summit, Mark just plopped down and lied down on the grass. 

After catching our breaths, we joined the others. It was still dark and the stars from last night were still out. To feel so close to the stars, as if you could finally reach out, and cheesy as it might sound, I just have to say it because no other words can describe it as well as the next few words can…"And in that moment, I swear I felt infinite."

A couple of minutes later, a tinge of orange finally appeared on the horizon…dawn is breaking. I don't know if it was my imagination but I could've sworn that a hush fell over us. Everyone had their cameras ready as the sun made its grand entrance. 
At the Break of Dawn. Photo by Tarin T.

Breathtaking in the truest sense of the word, it was every bit as beautiful as people said it will be. And you think to yourself, how lucky it is that you are alive, to be witnessing what is nothing short of a miracle, to be part of something greater than yourself. Maybe this is what it means to be nowhere but in the present moment. To be content. To be perfectly calm and at peace. To feel truly alive.   
Panoramic Shot of the Sunrise at Pulag Summit. Photo mine.

Of course, this view deserves a photo op... of my feet. shoes. whatever.  
Thank you for taking me all the way up here! Photo mine.

And some more…
"I Go to Seek a Great Perhaps." Photo by Ivan L.

And some more…
Pulag Class of 2014. Photo by Glen C.
And some more...
Sea of Clouds. Photo by Ivan L.

After a few (possibly a few hundred photos), it was time to head back to camp to have breakfast. Even though we just passed through this path a few hours ago, everything looks so different in broad daylight. I swear I could hear the von Trapp family singing, "The hills are alive with the sooound of myooo-sic." 
Photo mine. 

A little over an hour (with no rest stops in between no less!), we made it back to camp with the oh-so-sweet smell of breakfast wafting through the air welcoming us back. It was literally the most well-deserved breakfast of sopas and hotdogs. After breakfast, it was time to pack up and break camp. But before we started the loooong trek down, of course we had to take that one last group photo together to cap off our wonderful #Pooplag experience.    
Complete "family photo. Photo by Glen C.

Everyone was in high spirits to say the least. And surprisingly, even I found that the descent was not as hard as I dreaded it would be. Less water breaks, less rest stops, more slipping and landing on my butt moments… who knows, I might be getting the hang of this? Instead of the usual 3.5 hrs, it only took 2.5hrs! And yes, I have to brag, I was no longer the sweeper and was actually one of the first batches to get to the ranger station. Achievement unlocked! 

Ranger Station: Opportunity to freshen up and fatten up before we continue our way home. 
Photo by Tarin T.

The rest of the day went by like a blur. The ride to the DENR Station+the ride to Baguio was quiet. I guess fatigue and drowsiness were catching up on people.

Before you know it, we were already in Pangasinan where we had our dinner break at Jollibee. I cannot express how happy I am to finally have one of my all-time favorites: CHICKEN JOY! not to mention to be back in civilization! (No offense meant, Pulag was all sorts of wonderful but I miss them indoor plumbing!!!)

With our tummies and hearts happily filled (with food and memories respectively), we set off on the last and longest part of the trip -- the ride from Baguio back to Manila. Drifting in and out of sleep, I was only vaguely aware as we passed by the different provinces until finally  we were already back in Manila. 

A few stopovers later, I was back home reunited with my bed, my dogs, and my beloved CR. I never realized so much can happen in a little under 12 hours. And while I was unpacking,I came to a realization that this trip, more than a test of strength, was a test of willpower, of how far you can push yourself to take one more step, when every inch of you is screaming no. Sometimes, you’ll never know just what it is you’re capable of until you’re faced with a situation that pushes you, simply because there’s no other choice. I might not be the most fit I've ever been, but to be able to survive this trip, is something that I'm truly proud of. 

Till the next adventure, 
H.

P.S. Some of the friends we were with made videos to document our trip. Links here: 



No comments:

Post a Comment